.

Monday, February 25, 2019

Bred in South Auckland Essay

I count Glen Colquhouns draw a bead on in creating this poem was to make people, like myself, greet our self-worth and embrace our individuality. He mocks his universal habits to show us that we cant always be put into categories, just because a person does nighthing like I lead the newspaper. That doesnt mean the person has to be sterile into a certain(p) group, in this case Some people think I am a true Pakeha.I really enjoyed reading the way the reason made fun of his everyday habits to tell that there is more than unitary way of viewing our identity, instead of being guided to a racial or cultural stereotype. I found it easy to believe him when he said I think I am the luckiest mongrel I know. He accepted his cultures but did not let them sculpt him into their typical stereotypes. I really liked the way Glen Colquhoun relates himself to four stereotypical cultures Maori, Pakeha, Asian and Pacific Islander.I also enjoyed the way he described his everyday habits to each of his cultures. I think Im the luckiest mongrel I know by portraying himself as a mongrel- a pursue of mixed breed he tells us he has many an(prenominal) incompatible cultural influences as a part of him. This quote made me realise that every person has many dimensions to them it doesnt matter if your family isnt from quaternate cultures. When you grow up in a society where there are many diverse cultures influencing your behaviour, your attitude, it shapes your personality and you as a person.This poem relates to many people around New Zealand, especially in South Auckland because were so multi-cultural and so many people have parents, partners, cousins, aunties and uncles from many unlike cultures. Even though Im from Pakistan some people think Im Indian and others think Im from some Middle Eastern country. So in a way I could relate to this. I enjoyed reading this poem because the theme relates to everyday things and everyone gets stereotyped at some point in their life re gardless of their culture, which is why we should define ourselves by our personality not culture stereotypes.

No comments:

Post a Comment